Over the weekend I spent a Saturday with my kids at Church to help fill shoe boxes will be delivered to children who are less fortunate. The children bring their benefits change or to Sunday school and then at the end a few weeks collected money is divided among the children and they could go shopping at the dollar store.
I see all the little things as simple as the ball, puzzle, combs, dolls and stuffed animals that children have chosen and I explained to the children shopping that even though we may see these things as not many children somewhere will light up with joy when it opens the box the shoes were. So we went back to the House and my son said “mom where are the iPod I would like to play games” and I immediately thought about how much we really should we take for granted.
People who take things for granted are worried about things like this:
- I don’t have enough money to get her nails done this week.
- I like that new coat in the window but I can’t decide which colors to gain I’ve had three very similar coat.
- Let’s go to a restaurant for dinner.
- I’ve spent over $100 on children for Christmas and I still have some things to take.
- People who are just trying to stay alive to think of things like this:
- I hope I can buy food for my family.
- I hope the winter is not too hard because we don’t have warm clothing that we need.
- I had no idea we would get our next meal.
- We will not even celebrate Christmas because we had no money.
There is a huge difference in people who take things for granted and those who just wish they will have meals tomorrow so they can survive. Instead of complaining about everything under the Sun we need to be thankful for what we have and realize there are many people in this world who are less fortunate than we are. We are worried about not having enough while others hope they’ll have something … There is a big difference.
So stop complaining and whining about all the problems you and pray for those who are not sure if they will make it through tomorrow. We have the ability to provide for your family, but often all the challenges and obstacles is what allows us to get our way and keep us from achieving our goals. An activity that is easy and helpful is a list of three things you’re thankful for every day for the next 30 days.
You cannot use anything more than once and you will be amazed by all the things you are thankful for even if you seem to think that everything that is wrong all the time. Look over this list after you’re done and realize that each of us has a lot of positive things in our lives but we often let the negative things to outweigh the positives. This goes back to the simple things that we take for granted daily. I hope that you will not only take part in the activity write down three things You are grateful for every day, but you will also stop yourself when you start to think negative.